Marketing research shows that soft drinks with “diet” in the name are not that popular with male consumers because they associate the word with food / drinks for women.
The “Wild Health” Coca Cola ad (starring Japanese singer Namie Amuro) seems to be aimed more at Japanese men.
This ad, like many Japanese ads, uses English even though many people in the target audience may only have some understanding of what the text means. English is used because it is “catchy” and to some viewers in Japan it may make a product seem more international / exotic / unique.
May 2021 TOK essay prescribed title #5 is an investigation of whether AOKs work best in isolation or in combination. Consider links between the RLE, knowledge, and some example areas of investigation:
- The ethics behind different aspects of the ad
- The artistic elements of the ad
- The use of an artist (singer) to promote Coca Cola
- Different ways in which the human sciences (e.g. gender studies, media studies, psychology, sociology) can be used to analyze the ad
- What knowledge can be gained from focusing on one AOK in one of the points above
- What knowledge can be gained from focusing on two AOKs in combination in the points above