Text extract from: Martin, Alexander. “GCHQ discovered ‘nationally significant’ vulnerability in Huawei equipment.” Sky News.
“Cyber security analysts tasked with investigating Huawei equipment used in the UK’s telecommunications networks discovered a “nationally significant” vulnerability last year.
Investigators at the UK’s Huawei Cyber Security Evaluation Centre (HCSEC) found an issue so severe that it was withheld from the company, according to an oversight report published on Thursday…
There is a hypothetical concern that Beijing could purposefully design some kind of deniable flaw in Huawei’s equipment which it would know how to exploit – or that it could have been alerted to a potential attack vector once the issue was reported to Huawei.” https://news.sky.com/story/gchq-discovered-nationally-significant-vulnerability-in-huawei-equipment-12086688
Many western countries / companies view Huawei as an arm of the Chinese government and in some cases Huawei is banned from providing equipment in sensitive areas.
May 2021 TOK Essay Prescribed Title #6 is focus on positive and negative elements of bias. Consider connections with bias in this RLE:
- How nationality affects views of Huawei
- How different media outlets / media reports uses language to frame the issue a neutral or biased way
- How the choice of accompanying photos in article on Huawei affects the reader
- How historical context affects interactions between Chinese and western governments and companies
- Make sure to look into the positive role bias can have in this RLE.